Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cherry Tomato Tarte Tatin

Normally Tarte Tatin is made as a dessert by stewing fruit in a caramel of sugar and butter before topping with pastry and setting in the oven. I guess it's still authentic as tomatoes are fruit, but this is definitely not a dessert dish.

It's actually supposed to be made with yellow cherry tomatoes too, but be stuffed if I could find any yellow cherry tomatoes anywhere around here. I know I'm growing some, but the play is about an inch tall, so won't be getting any fruit from it for a little while yet.

I haven't made a tarte tatin before, so was a bit apprehensive about how it would turn out. I also don't have a small oven proof frypan, so had to improvise.

Once the tomatoes were cooked in the vinegar and sugar mixture, I transferred them to a pie dish and topped with puff before popping them into an oven for the pastry to rise and become golden and crisp.

  

Still, I'm quite please with how it tasted. The vinegar naturalized the acidity of the tomatoes beautifully. The puff didn't completely puff, but I used a cheap brand, so I can't really complain all that much. The crispy bits contrasted really well with the soft gooey twice cooked tomatoes. 

Would make a fantastic entree course.


No comments:

Post a Comment